The rainbow in the sky finds its colors on your plate as well. VIBGYOR isn’t just one of the prettiest things to look at, it’s also incredibly healthy! The pigments that give fruits and vegetables their vibrant colours are called phytonutrients and are tiny powerhouses of health benefits. These cannot be stored in the body and must be consumed on a regular basis to stay free from deficiency related disorders. Here’s an easy reckoner on what the different colour families have to offer.
Reds, oranges, yellows and pinks (Carotenoids and betalains)
- Apple: Rich in antioxidants and fiber, they prevent heart disease and cancer. An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
- Beetroot: Unbeatable Beets! Not only are they good for the liver and help lower blood pressure, they also prevent heart disease and stroke.
- Papaya: Loaded with antioxidants, they prevent cancer, and also reduce internal inflammations and aid digestion.
- Zucchini: Very filling and satisfying, this veggie curbs hunger pangs and helps drop those extra pounds. It also boosts the immunity!
- Spinach: It improves the eyesight, strengthens muscles and hardens bones. It also gives a push to sluggish metabolism. No wonder it’s the secret to Popeye’s strength!
- Okra/ Bhindi: High in fiber, it is excellent for preventing diabetes and keeping the body fit. It also reduces cholesterol formation, avoiding heart disease and obesity. Truly, this is one miracle vegetable!
Blues, Indigos and Purples (Anthocyanins)
- Brinjal: This veggie works wonders with the skin, promoting a glowing, bright complexion. It also aids better digestion and helps prevent cancer and heart disease.
- Kala Jamun: An Indian Seasonal favorite, this fruit fights anaemia by increasing haemoglobin in the body. It also strengthens the teeth and gums.
- Purple Grapes: Loaded with antioxidants as well as potassium, they prevent cancer and help maintain stable electrolyte levels.
What are you waiting for? Get on that rainbow now!